Saturday, February 16, 2013

Elizabeth's January hat

This hat was finished midway through January, but I kept trying to think of a clever way to photograph it. (Pat's photo skills keep me intimidated, let me tell you!) Finally I decided that the old iPad photo on a pillow would have to do:

This is the hat pattern I keep in my head, and it's really useful if you have not quite enough to make a whole hat, but too much to throw away. I had two colors of Encore, charcoal gray and light gray, that worked well together. Cast on 88 and rib for -- a while. This time I did 5 inches, and I wish I'd made it 6; I like a deeper cuff when it's folded over. You could also use a little bit left over and just rib for 2 inches, then complete the hat beanie style. Then you switch to your other color and work in stockinette for -- a while. I tried it on my (admittedly large) own head, and started decreasing when it seemed plausible. Here's what it looks like opened up:

I am writing the pattern up a little more formally, and will post it here soon. This is the first one in the box where I will be keeping my hats for our Baker's Dozen in 2013 project.

No comments:

Post a Comment