Saturday, December 26, 2015

I want to go to your sister. . .

I have always loved Manos del Uruguay's Wool Clasica. In years (too many years) when money was tight, I would allow myself to go to a yarn shop once a month, and I'd buy a skein of Manos as a treat. That led to an exceedingly undisciplined collection of colors, still waiting for me to figure out how to put them together.

But one year Manos introduced a line of naturals, and I fell hard. By that time I was able to buy a little more, a little more often, and I indulged myself by collecting a whole bunch, with the intent of someday making a blanket.

Last February, the skeins had matured to the point where it was time to cast on. I decided on my beloved bias squares, knit from two sides down to the last 2 stitches. And I cast on. Three rows into block #1, the blanket said to me, "I want to go to your sister." I had thought this one would be for me, but when the knitting talks. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment