Tuesday, January 19, 2010
I finished my Green, January socks. I worked in the tails last night and photographed them today. They still need to be washed and blocked but I was so excited that I had to post my finished socks. This pair was as plain as I could make them. I used my standard toe-up sock pattern (Pat Shorten, "Topsy Turvy: Toe Up Socks!, Cast On, Summer 2003, p. 69). This pattern came to life after I knit up several pairs of Kim Salzar's great pattern. I started making slight changes to make me happy and then I taught a class and had to write up the pattern.
I've included a detail of the figure-of-eight toe:
(I've stuffed the toe with a wash tag to get it to look "normal")
The turned heel:
(That's a lacrosse ball filling out my heel...I do long for a human foot...)
Finally, I used Jeny's surprisingly stretchy bind-off, recommended by Cat Bordhi in her YouTube video. Sorry EZ but I will NEVER go back to the sewn cast-off, it's stretchy but not nearly so perfect as Jeny's bind-off!