Monday, October 8, 2012

mitten knittin'

I decided it was time to stop doing the plain autopilot mittens and play with cables. I am very happy I did -- these knit up really fast, and I will be making the pattern again. I like the seed stitch background for the cable (palm side is plain stockinette).





Bartlett yarn, not sure which red -- might be Mountain Berry

I did modify the pattern slightly by flipping the cable for the second mitten, so they'd be mirror images. And for the next pair, I will add a thumb gusset -- I find that the thumb that springs straight out of the hand doesn't fit as well, and it seems to add extra stress on those difficult corner stitches.

In real life, the red is slightly darker, and a little bit heathery - I will try for a better photo later. Meanwhile, I've already cast on the next pair.

Edited to add: when modeled by a person whose hands are not too big for the mittens, the thumb seems to work just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment